Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Cold Front and Crazy Dreams

It is 68 degrees (F) and I'm loving this weather! 

And I have a new bike! I just got home from work, and I rode my super sweet bicycle there and home because I only live 0.7 miles from my job site.

Basically I was this girl, plus about sixteen years:



"Whaddya say, hooray! Put up your hands and say, 'ding ding!' Hah hah, hah! what do you say? Going fast! Hah hah hah! I don't care, I like it. It comes down to being like it. What do you say? I HAVE A NEW BIKE! What do you say? I have a new bike!" Oh, man. She's great!

Anyway, let me catch you up on recent events. I have decided that I will not blog on the weekends (unless I have something super awesome to share), and I will not blog the day before an exam. Thus, the last time you heard from me on here was Friday, because I had an exam today! Ahhhhh!!! But have no fear, because guess what?

I passed! Whoop! Actually, I even got a good score! Thank you to everyone who said a prayer for me. With your prayers, God's grace, and my brain, everything went smoothly. Three cheers!


Bliss, sweet bliss!


Alright, so Katie had an exam which went well. What else happened since Friday? Well, for one, my roommate had a funny dream with me in it. She told me I could share it with you, so here you go: 

The dream: We're at daily Mass. We're listening to the Word of God and pondering the Scriptures, thinking, praying, cherishing. Transition to the liturgy of the Eucharist. The priest and the Holy Spirit cooperate to perform the profound miracle of transubstantiation, providing for us the Body and Blood of Jesus--the Eucharist. We pray the Pater Noster, the Agnus Dei, the "Domine, non sum dignus," and then the best part of Mass comes upon us...time to receive Jesus! 

We are next to each other in the line to walk forward for Holy Communion, but my roommate sees something strange in my hands. What is it? It's a pint of ice cream! And I'm just chowing down, in the middle of Mass, before Holy Communion! What!?! So my roommate says, "Katie! What are you doing?!" And I reply, "Eating ice cream..." And she says, "Don't you want to receive Jesus?" And I reply, "Yes..." And she responds, "But you're eating ice cream! You aren't fasting!" And what, pray tell, is my reply? 

"I don't like that rule. I think it's dumb. Why can't I eat ice cream and receive Jesus at the same time?" (Remember, this is only a dream!)

Her face.

And yes, in the dream, the horrible version of myself did in fact receive Holy Communion! Oh, the horror!

Why, might you ask, did my roommate have such a crazy dream about me? 
Two reasons:
1. I love the Eucharist.
2. I love ice cream.

Well, and the fact that it is quite difficult for me to follow rules that I don't agree with. For example, the "mandate" that every person needs to buy healthcare that includes coverage of contraception and abortion-inducing drugs. I don't agree with that rule, and I'm not going to follow it. Ever. 

Now, the dream is not accurate because I do agree with (and love!) the fasting rule that we have. Fasting before Holy Communion is so beautiful, and I'm so thankful for it! But I think the dream is a funny portrayal of my stubborn nature. 

N.B. Okay, so I embellished the dream story a tiny bit, but did not alter the essential parts!

In other news, one of my three bosses quit her job today, two weeks after our previous boss quit the same job. Must be one tough job, right? Please pray for her and her family. Her name is "J."

Tomorrow I volunteer at my local crisis pregnancy center! My favorite time of the week!

I will leave you with two things. First, the beautiful responsorial psalm from daily Mass today:

Psalm 130(129) De profundis

Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord,
Lord, hear my voice!
O let your ears be attentive
to the voice of my pleading.

If you, O Lord, should mark our guilt,
Lord, who would survive?
But with you is found forgiveness:
for this we revere you.

My soul is waiting for the Lord.
I count on his word.
My soul is longing for the Lord
more than watchman for daybreak.
Let the watchman count on daybreak
and Israel on the Lord.

Because with the Lord there is mercy
and fullness of redemption,

Israel indeed he will redeem
from all its iniquity.

Sound familiar? If I remember correctly, that psalm is closely related to somebody's blog title. Hmm...whose blog could it be?

Second, because you're a beloved child of God, please take two minutes of your hectic life and let your worries fade away as you watch this delightful short video about a baby squirrel.


P.s. I was riding my bike around campus today and this little squirrel dude totally tried to trip me! He was chilling in the middle of the sidewalk that I was crusin' along, and I shouted at him to watch out and I even rang my bell, but the little fella just wouldn't get out of the way! I almost had another wipe out! Don't worry though, I maneuvered around him. The little prankster...

No comments:

Post a Comment