Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Seven not-so-quick takes


Seven Quick Takes Friday is a post-format designed (I believe) by Jennifer Fulwiler. Basically, it is a faster way to write a blog post and it gives short-ish snippets of each Friday's happenings. I'm usually sort of long-winded, so I'll try to keep things succinct today!
-----#1-----

Every Friday I have the unfathomable privilege of volunteering at my local crisis pregnancy center. Seriously, if you are looking for a way to serve Jesus and really help people, consider volunteering at your local one also. Let me describe today to you.

I arrived at the Center at opening time, 9:00am. The only staff member there was our sweet nurse. The others would arrive shortly. I moseyed on over to the kitchen where I used our Keurig to prepare a cup of pumpkin spice coffee. The smell was heavenly. I returned to the reception area and began working on the task of folding pamphlets. A few women started trickling through our doors, but they weren't here for pregnancy tests. At the Center we have many resources for pregnant women, including a baby store where they can get baby or maternity items for free. They were here for this reason. Then at 10:15am our first pregnancy appointment arrived. I'm still learning the ropes, so I shadowed my co-worker as we counseled a young woman and performed her pregnancy test. Every single time I volunteer, I am shocked all over again at the immense privilege that is given to us with these women. We are entrusted with creating a safe haven for them to hear the result of their pregnancy test. We are responsible for encouraging her, supporting her, loving her, and giving her confidence that she really can do this. Sometimes, we are the only people in her life who are telling her that she is strong, she is capable, and that we are here for her when it gets rough. What a gift! 

Her test was positive. This young woman did not have the support of her partner, the father of the baby. They aren't on speaking terms, and he wants nothing to do with her or his baby. She brought her best friend into the counseling room at that point, for a shoulder to lean on.

We gave her information for low-cost health insurance and we told her about all the resources we have for her and her 3-week old baby (ETC). We encouraged her, loved her, and prayed for her. Then my co-worker instructed me to complete the appointment on my own, without her assistance. This was an important step for me because it was my first unsupervised interaction with a client. My job was simple: Make copies of her paperwork, return them to her, and walk her to the front desk to schedule her free ultrasound in two weeks. All were successfully executed. 


She informed me that she is planning to keep her baby, with or without the support of the father. She wants to give her older daughter a little brother or sister. Please keep her in your prayers. You can call her "B."

-----#2-----

Oh my goodness, I'm so bad at this succinct-ness thing. But that was worth it, wasn't it? Okay, this one will be short. 

We all know about the government shutdown. What you may not have heard is that because of the government shutdown, some priests who contract with the Armed Services to provide pastoral care for the troops have been threatened with being arrested if they try to celebrate Holy Mass (or any of the Sacraments, like Confession) on base. This is a pretty horrendous outright violation of the First Amendment, which is supposed to guard our religious freedom! God have mercy on our government. In you, O Lord, we take refuge. In your justice, set us free. Hear us and speedily rescue us!

-----#3-----

Have you ever wondered if we're doing any good by being on the sidewalk?


My friends and I praying. Spring 2013.

Sometimes our pro-life work is so overwhelming--almost too overwhelming. Then God sends us encouragement like this (click the underlined word to reach the link).

“If you’re trying to talk me out of this abortion too bad…I’ve already decided.”

Sidewalk Counselor Ashley shares an amazing life-saving story from yesterday!!


Thanks to the Central Texas Coalition for Life for sharing this. 

-----#4-----

Today is the Feast of St. Francis! You know what that means: the blessing of the pets! I almost forgot about it, but luckily my roommate reminded me. Rorey received her second blessing of St. Francis. I neglected to take photos this time, but here are some snapshots from her blessing last year.

She was a little nervous! "Mom, hold my hand!"

Posing with her buddy, St. Francis.

-----#5-----

I have an exam in Geography of Latin America coming up fast. It's on Tuesday and there is so much to study. I'm quite overwhelmed. If you could pray for me, I would appreciate your generosity. 
Go away, Latin America. 

-----#6-----

Do not be like Miley Cyrus. Be like Katie Prejean instead. Twerking is unhealthy and gross. There is a better way to dance! 



"Friends don't let friends twerk." Truth. 

-----#7-----

Did you know that the Bible talks about foxes? 

"Catch us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vineyards, for our vineyards are in blossom." -Song of Solomon 2:15

"And Jesus said to him, 'Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.'" -Luke 9:58

"Tobiah the Ammonite was beside him, and he said, 'Yes, what they are building—if a fox goes up on it he will break down their stone wall!'" -Nehemiah 4:3

"O Israel, thy prophets are like the foxes in the deserts." -Ezekiel 13:4

Wait, what? Fox prophets? What do foxes say? 


Have a great weekend! 

2 comments:

  1. I like the picture on number 3. Clearly, our prayers worked. Well, combined with the rest of the world's. I'm excited for when you start working on your own at Hope. You will surely be a shining ray of the light of Jesus to the women you interact with!

    ReplyDelete